Oh do I have a mountain of work in front of me!
This morning I met my class at the Texas Institute Museum of Texas History and Cultures.
What a fantastic place. They had an exhibit called PLAY! all about learning through play and social interaction- in addition to other exhibits such as Texas cultures, Texas history and a particularly cute live quilting bee. I stood talking with the quilting ladies as they worked on a beautiful quilt. One lady maneuvered her walker to show me the material that she was going to use for her next quilt, after this present one was finished. "It's not my turn yet," she said, "my turn is the one after the next turn." You see all of the ladies work together on one quilt- they all contribute to the quilt until it's finished. Then the next lady in the circle brings out her pattern for her quilt and everyone works away on that one.
"What if someone brings a super-hard one?" I asked.
"Well," she laughed, "then that's just the way it is."
"I'd like to make a quilt like this one day," I said.
"Well, just make sure you put the story one the back. Write where the pieces came from- that makes the quilt much more valuable," she said as she turned the corner of the quilt over to show me where the quilter had recorded the history of the quilt.
The material came from her children's clothes that were made from them during a mission trip in Africa.
"Yes," I said, "I will write the story of the quilt on the back; I can see that is very important."
One day I'd like to put the thread to the needle.
For now, I'll put the pen to the paper and keep writing.
Writing these intimidating papers and stretching my little brain a little more each day.
I can only hope that the mounds and mounds of pieces around me will someday end up as something beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment