Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Missed

As finals come to a close- one last stack of papers lay beside me to grade. Grades to post, paper work to wrap up - and then I will tie a big red bow on this first semester of school and say-
it is finished.
What an experience it has been...
I thought I would feel so light today, smiling from ear to ear.
But- this season of work has squeezed out so many things I love about the holiday season.
Both Neil and I have been working so hard, that those events outside of work were missed this season.

The CTWP Holiday Social
Kevin & Missy's Red Soiree
Ryan & Sandra's Christmas Party
Michele's Cookie & Jewelry Party
Alex's Ornament Exchange Party
Miranda's Birthday Brunch
Amye's shopping visit to the outlet mall
The Annual White Elephant Gift Exchange Party
ALL missed by us.

I'm just not sure what to say about it.
I know I am investing in the future, but at what sacrifice?
I miss the joy I used to find in cleaning my house, cooking dinner and seeing our friends- things that I do not have much time to do anymore.
I just want my friends to know I still love them. I miss them terribly. I hope I will see them soon.
Next year, I will figure out a way to do it better. This program will only interrupt one more holiday season, and next year- I will surely be more prepared.

Time to dry it up and count my blessings.
The last thing I'm missing is an attitude adjustment. Hopefully, I'll find it soon.

My husband has said on several occasions... "Grad school is about as much fun as stabbing yourself in the eye with a fork, over and over and over." I'll just leave it at that.

No comments: