Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The time has come... May 16!


I have a list of things I'd like to do in my lifetime. You know, things like -
Travel to Europe - check!
Learn to scuba dive - check!
Marry the love of my life - check!
Catch a ginormous fish - check!
Tour the wine country - check!
Finish a master's degree - check!
Climb a mountain - check!
Learn to snowboard - check!
Sail the Bahamas - check!
Win a contest - check!
Finish a triathlon.... che.... not so fast! I started training for a triathlon in undergrad - but then I got too busy with finals, graduation, and graduation parties to run a race in May. After all, I felt I was already finishing one!

SO, THE TIME HAD COME! Yesterday, I decided I would do the Trek Women's Triathlon on May 16, 2010. My friends Alex and Ellen are going to join me. This is pretty sweet because Ellen is a superior and very serious runner. Alex is just an all-around excellent athlete. Me on the other hand.... well let's put it this way. Last time I rode my bike, I fell off of it in the middle of the street. A little kid had to come and ask me if I was okay. So, hopefully I will make it through this experience alive and well. I think I will. I think my awesome training partners will raise the bar for me! I think I will further embrace my inner athlete. Hopefully, I will sculpt my outer athlete as well!

Lately... Life is reminding me of how short it really is. So, if there's some thing you've always wanted to do... well- you better just grab it by the balls and get started!

Dear Triathlon,
12 mile bike
1/2 mile swim
3.1 mile run
Here I come!
Love, Melanie

P.S. - Last Night's Workout - .66 mile run, Abs, Arms, Lats & Shoulders, Leg Presses
P.P.S. - Feeling slightly sore and GREAT today!

Image Above: Emma Snowsill of Australia crosses the finish line in the Women's Final of Beijing 2008 Olympic Games triathlon event in Beijing, China, Aug. 18, 2008. Emma Snowsill won the gold medal with a time of 1 hour 58 minutes and 27.66 seconds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"superior" runner...i like the sound of that!

i'm excited!

ErinB said...

Melanie!! You and I must be long lost sisters. The last time I rode a bike I fell off...but into a ditch. This occurred in October/November (of 2009)! I'm a horrible bike rider, but convinced Kenny that I needed a mountain bike just like him. (What was I thinking?!) Best of luck to you in your Tri, you'll do great and will thus be addicted.