Monday, May 3, 2010

Letting go...


I speak often of seeing life through a new lens.
Since Neil's accident, and the events following- life and the way I saw it changed irrevocably and purposefully.

Through that experience, I let go of many of the perspectives and values I had known to be true because I was brought to a new place where NOTHING looked and felt the same as it did before. A place of surrender, humility, and peace. I must say the lens is still clearing, but I know enough now to speak of what I see and feel in a semi-cohesive way.

I attended an event at my church a few weeks ago called- Sisterhood. My pastor's wife spoke about the dynamics among women using a ladder image. Have you ever been around another woman who could not be happy for or express genuine love and joy for another woman? Instead said woman is catty, mean or competitive- taking opportunities to put others down, point out flaws, brag about themselves and highlight possible shortcomings in others directly or indirectly. These women are "on the ladder" so to speak. They cannot lift up others because that would mean another person is on the same "step", or a higher step then herself!

But God wants us to "GET OFF THE LADDER!" As Christians, we are to love and lift up others, not try and outdo them or make ourselves look better than them. When you get off the ladder, jealousy and pettiness disappear from your heart, freeing you to experience joy and peace in your relationships. Some women will stay on the ladder, but what they don't realize is it is awfully lonely at the top of the ladder, and once you're there - there is no where to go but back down again!

The message gave me a great image to use as a daily reminder of joyfulness and certainly a part of my new lens for my life- I lift up others because I am called to do so. I can let go of all the rest...

My closing thought is our sisterhood cheer:

Don't wallow with the wah wahs! Run with the rah rahs!

No comments: