Thursday, April 29, 2010

Go tell it on the mountain?



Maybe experiences in public schools and culturally diverse social circles have trained me to minimize words and phrases like, "Jesus" "My faith in the Lord" "I am a christian." and "I put my trust in God"

The desire to allow my "striving to be Christ-like" actions to speak louder than words seemed dignified and correct. People who constantly spat "christian jargon and catch-phrases" drove me crazy and sometimes made my skin crawl. I used to think, "Shut up already! Stop talking the talk and walk the walk!" (...which is slightly ironic because that very thought could be considered a catch-phase...)

I once heard someone say, "God was telling them to do (fill in the blank) something" every week... every week "God's voice" was saying something different than just days prior... was that GOD'S VOICE? or just hormones?

There's no judgment or abrasion intended here... just my own reflection on how we talk about and live out our faith in relation to the world around us. I'm wondering what gives with ME?
Why, all of the sudden, I can't help from speaking of my faith and God all the time?

On one hand, I feel empowered share the amazing ways I see God working in my life and filled with joy, like the song...
Gooooo tell it on the mountain! Over the hills and everywhere!

One the other hand, I wonder, am I becoming one of those annoying people?

What happens when you speak of your faith to others? Will it evoke the same judgment I used to scorn upon other jargon-slinging bible-beaters? Is our faith a conversation to save for "opportunities"? Should you apply a filter to your "faith talk" just as you should to your politics, sex and financial talk? If so, I think my filter may have a hole in it lately. For now, I'll ponder patching it up. Penny for your thoughts on the matter?

In the meantime, I'll share my "faith talk" here, in a space to take account, reflect and celebrate.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 16:11

Joy abounds, exploring new grounds...
Rejoice in the Lord for He has good things for us.
His blessing given in perfect timing, unexpected and far superior to our own design.
What a King, what a King we serve!

I am thankful for the freedom and boldness to say-
Thank you Lord for bringing peace to my pathway
Thank you Lord for making masterpiece from clay
Thank you Lord for giving me a bright new day

No comments: