
As you know I am training for a triathlon. Last night I headed, rather tired, to the gym to swim. The lanes were full so I waited until I thought I saw a man gesture me to share his lane with him. As he was a safe distance away, I hoped in, adjusted my new goggles and took off swimming. Just as I am about halfway down the pool, SMASH! We smacked each other in the head - strait on! We both popped out of the water shocked and throbing! I was so stunned, I stood motionless applying direct pressure on my forehead. "WELL! I guess you are sharing this lane with me!" this blanketlyblank shouts at me. (By this time all other swimmers have stopped swimming and are staring at us. "Yes," I say softly, "I tried to get your attention and I thought you saw me."
"Well, try to stay out of my way!" he barks and takes off again.
Out of sheer pride, I swam 5 more laps, all the while, my head throbbing and I was crying on the inside. How could someone be so rude? How do you smash someone in the head and then yell at them? Even if this was my fault (which it was clearly an accident) one would still say, "Are you okay?" WHAT A JERK!
I slunk out of the gym not long after I had entered. Tears poured from my now pulsating head all the way home and into the shower. I'm not sure what hurt more, my head, or the jab to my heart from such a "tough guy."
I thought about what I could DO about such a shameful situation:
A. Call the gym and complain of this dill weed and how it's a liability to have such recklessness and discourtesy in the gym. They should post a new sign in the pool to make sure people know they are expected to be courteous- better yet a lifeguard!
B. Wait for this floppyfish to come out of the pool and use my Imeanbusiness voice to tell him just how "tough" it really is to smash someone in the head and then yell at them in front of the whole pool. AND how I would want that kind of karma on my conscious in this day and age! AND how if my husband or any other REAL MAN would have seen that he probably would have yanked you right out my your too small speedo and... well- you get the picture.
C. Or... another option. Go home, take a hot shower, cook dinner and share champagne with Neil. Tend to my head with an advil and a little prayer, and even say a little prayer for that grumpy hammerhead numb nuts that did this to me. There's something to be learned from not fighting back. I guess today I have to figure that out.
What would YOU choose?
Each time I look in the mirror today at the bump on my head- I will say a little prayer for rude people. Anger and bumps both fade with time. I'll do my best to replace the ugly with the good.
image: www.rude-world.co.uk/
No comments:
Post a Comment