Friday, April 16, 2010

Prayer on a Gray Day


Friday.
School starts with tardy students- released late from barricaded neighborhoods...
Shots fired, Officer Down. Saved by grace and a bullet proof vest.
Gray clouds and baggy jeans hang low
Blasting i-pods and wet, shiny concrete around campus
Big kids begging for boundaries and screaming for attention
I do what I can to reach who I can, but do my words fall on closed ears or open ears?

The rainy weather and Spring hormones make for restless, rambunctious souls.
A population divided- one conversation circles admission to college, another the f-word
A high school microcosm of baby adults trying to find a branch to hang on to in the wind storm that is their morning.

The aire of the end of an era percolates through the roof and the floors and the walls, hitting virgin noses- and again a duel effect.
One student carefully prepares to soar away, another unsuspecting who stirs like a caged animal that senses an approaching storm.

May prayers shelter these young ones with umbrellas of grace.
Make haste my God, may they hear Your voice.
I claim these students in Your name.
May the work of their hands be blessed and good.
May their steps find solid rock.
May their lives find purpose and dignity.
May their dreams survive the fight.

No comments: