Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Run, Forest, Run!


I went to the gym last night. 4 miles on the bike on level 7. Then, 1/2 mile run on the track. Did you know that there are different ways to run and deciding on the best way to run is highly debated and researched? Me neither! There are heal-strikers, mid-foot, and fore-foot runners. I was previously a heal-striker. Now, I am trying out the mid-foot style of running which put the burn on your calf muscles. Apparently, this mid-foot/fore-foot style of running lowers the chances of running-related injuries by helping the feet and legs perform with spring-like motion. You also run faster with this style. As you focus on landing on the forward part of your foot, instead of your heal first, your body angles ever-so-slightly forward. So last night I ran faster than ever... BUT it also made my calves burn like the dickens and my heart rate shoot through the roof. Sooo... I only made it .5 mile. Gotta start somewhere.

One day down, three to go!
As my grammatically correct and spunky mother posted on facebook last night... " How do you like those apples?"

No comments: